Berkshire & McWethy's Store
|Located at Petersburg and conducted by Berkshire and McWethy, is a trade emporium that would add prestige to the commercial equipment of an ordinary sized city. It is known in the local trade circles as the Petersburg Department Store, a place where practically speaking everything is sold - and sold at prices strikingly in line with the asking of the city department establishments. The business occupies three large rooms, or departments, showing under general association Dry Goods, Groceries, Boots and Shoes, Hats, Caps, Hardware, Farm Implements and Machinery, Feed, Cigars and Tobacco, Notions, etc. The firm is also extensively engaged in the purchase and handling of Leaf Tobacco, with auxiliary buying stations at Grant, Ky., and Aurora, Ind.
Mr. Berkshire was born near Petersburg, August 12, 1842, and until 1894 was engaged in farming. Has always taken an interest in affairs of the county, and in 1898 was a candidate for High Sheriff, being defeated by but a few votes with three in the race. He is a staunch Democrat and was a delegate to the State Convention when the late Governor Goebel was nominated (the Music Hall convention), and has served as precinct committeemen of the Democratic County Executive Committee.
He is a member of the Christian Church and belongs to the I.O.O.F. He was married to Fannie S. Walton in the year 1863. Two daughters and four sons form an interesting family.
Mr. McWethy was born in Boone County, March 15, 1855, and has been one of the leading merchants of the county for nearly a quarter of a century, with exception of an interim of four years in Ohio.
Early in life he married Miss Mattie Lyons, she became deceased having one daughter, 1883. In 1890 he married for the second time, Miss Katie Weindel, of Petersburg, a very popular lady within the circle of all who know her. Honest, upright, courageous and obliging gentlemen, the firm of Berkshire and McWethy stands in the fore ranks of our best.