In 1868 school was opened in a little one-room
school on the spot where Henry Kottmeyer, Jr., no lives. Henry Kotmeyer,
Sr., owner of the ferryboat at Constance, was a pupil at the school.
The school remained on the Kottmeyer site for
something like five years, and then was moved to another location. That
site is now owned by Henry Kottmeyer Sr., and occupied by Fred Vahlsing.
The school was next located on the north side of the road near the "elbow"
of the Mile hill, and thence to a location on Worrel Run Creek. The
school remained there only a few years, and was then moved to its present
The present school was built over a third of a
century ago. Mr. Lon Voshel, now of Union, was the superintendent of
Boone county at that time. IT was a one-room building until ten years
ago. Constance had grown to a village that a one-room school would not
accommodate. Another room was added and another teacher was employed.
Constance has continued to grow, and a two-room
school will no longer accommodate the children. A modern three room
building will be erected.
The Constance school has continued to make progress,
and is now one of the leading schools in the county. The school has won
the scholastic events in the Boone county tournaments for one and two room
schools for three consecutive years.
Mr. and Mrs. R. V. Lents are the teachers of the
Constance school. They have recently been employed by the County Board of
Education for their fifth consecutive term at Constance.
Mr. Lents hails from Western Kentucky, having been
born in Marshall county, February 22, 1896. He received his common school
education and two years of high school from the Hardin graded and High
School, Hardin, Kentucky, and graduated from the Murray Normal School.
Mrs. Lents (nee Mollie Newman) is a Boone county
product, having been born in Union. She graduated from the Union High
School in 1919. She attended the Eastern State Teachers College at
Richmond three summers, and graduated from the Murray State Teachers
College last year., receiving a B.S. degree.
by R. V. Lents, from the 1930 Historical Edition of the Boone County Recorder