A village located at the headwaters of Gunpowder Creek, in the central part of Boone County, 6 miles from Burlington, the county seat, 7 from Walton on the L. C. & L. R. R. [Louisville, Cincinnati and Lexington Rail Road, a.k.a. the Short Line, a.k.a. the L&N], its nearest shipping point by rail, and 96 from Louisville. It's exports are tobacco and country produce. Tri-weekly mail. Population 300. R. T. Clements, postmaster.
Bannister, Henry, blacksmith and wagonmaker.
Clements & Connelly, grocers.
Connor & Norman, Dry Goods
Taliaferro, P., druggist.
Weaver, E. W., blacksmith.
Weaver, Lewis, Flouring Mill.
This info is from the Kentucky State Gazetteer and Business Directory, published in 1876-77 by R. L. Polk in Louisville. Items in bold were bolded in the original