|Key to Petersburg Map|
1. Petersburg Graded School. Built in 1913 with brick from a demolished Boone County Distillery warehouse. There has been a Petersburg school on this site since 1793. This building is not the community center.
2. Petersburg Baptist Church. Distillery warehouse bricks were used to build this vernacular (locally or regionally influenced) Gothic Revival Church in 1916.
3. Gordon’s Hall. This Italianate style commercial building was built c. 1892. Also known as the Opera House, the second floor was used for various entertainment and movies. Note the original cast iron storefront.
4. Farmers Bank. Built c. 1888, it served Petersburg for ten years before closing, and eventually reopening in 1903.
5. Masonic Building. The second floor of this c. 1849 vernacular Greek Revival structure has been the meeting place for the Sons of Temperance, Odd Fellows, Knights of Pythias, and, since 1924, the Masons. The first floor is a combination or retail and residential space.
6. Petersburg Jail. Built in 1916 from used distillery brick, the jail was never a very secure holding place.
7. The Odd Fellows Building. Now the Petersburg General Store, this vernacular commercial structure was built in 1913 using distillery bricks. The Odd Fellows met on the second floor.
8. The Christian Meeting House – A Greek revival structure built in 1840 and used continuously for church services as well as public meetings. The Chapin Memorial Library, Boone County’s first library, was added in 1949 through the generous donation of a former resident.
9. Stott House – Built c. 1899, this residential dwelling features vernacular Victorian and Italianate detailing, and original outbuildings.
10. Boone County Distillery Cooperage – This c. 1885 brick structure was originally the site of barrel making operations for the distillery.
11. Boone County Distillery Guest House – A double house form, rarely seen in Boone County, and distinctive brick work are featured in this c. 1883 building. It is significant as the best surviving building associated with Petersburg primary nineteenth century industry.
12. Gordon House – An interesting combination of Queen Anne and Classical Revival style is seen on this 1909 residence.
13. Workers Houses – These simple structures, c. 1890-95, are typical of those built s working class residences.
14. Loder House – Also known as White Hall, this c. 1842 Greek revival building was a tavern and the home of Louis A. Loder, who kept extensive diaries from 1857 to 1904.
15. Jonathan Carlton house – This c. 1825 Federal style building was the popular Schramm Tavern and offered food, drink, and lodging to the Ohio River traffic.
16. Schramm House – A c. 1879 residence featuring a well preserved hall and parlor design, common to Petersburg, but rare in Boone county.
17. Berkshire House – A vernacular craftsman bungalow, built c. 1920, from distillery warehouse brick. The cast iron fence is from the former Petersburg Methodist church
18. Weisickle Bungalow – a more traditional bungalow, this frame house was built c. 1910-15.
19. Town Hall – Formerly the site of a flour mill and a coal yard. The town well, fed by an underground spring, provides the current source of Petersburg‘s water.
20. Martin Giesler House – a c. 1885 vernacular gable and wig design, this residence features gingerbread detailing.
21. A. B. Parker House – A simple Victorian-influenced porch adds a special touch to this c. 1886 vernacular home.
22. Grant House – A Folk Victorian design with Italianate elements, this c. 1885 residence was home to an Ohio river boat captain.
23. Howard House – Gingerbread detailing embellishes the front and side porches of this c. 1894 vernacular home.