Walton Equitable Bank


The Walton Equitable Bank at Walton, Ky.,  is  the result of  the merger of two other banks  in that  town, namely the Equitable Bank and Trust Company and The Walton Bank and Trust Company, this event having  taken  place in February 1927. The capital stock totaled $50,000 and they had a $50,000 surplus with $30,000 in  undivided  profits and combined resources  of $750,000.00. At the  time of the merger the following respected and representative men were chosen as directors: R.C. Greene,  President; J.D. Mayhugh, Vice President; D.B. Wallace, E.K. Stevens, Oliver Brown, G.N.  Powers, A.M. Edwards, D.E. Dudley, J.C. Bedinger and R.E. Ryle. R.B. Brown and Chas. W. Ransler were also vice presidents with Alan H. Gaines secretary and E. Sleet West,  cashier;  J. Ben Doan and H.E. Metcalf as assistant cashiers.  J.D. Mayhugh  was later  elected president and upon his death  in  March 1930   Wilford  Rice was  selected  to fill that high  place  making him the youngest bank president  in the state. After  the   merger had been  effected a beautiful new  home  for the bank was erected  at a  cost  of $52,000.00.  It is a two-story limestone  building with  one hundred foot frontage  on the main street of Walton. The exterior  is decorated with marble and two columns of what materially rise nearly  the whole heighth [sic] of the building. The  interior is also decorated with marble with the woodwork  in natural quartered oak finish. A ten-inch vault door guards the public's money  further protected  by a McClintock Burglar Alarm. Safety  deposit boxes are available  to all who need the use of such a depository. It  is a state bank with trust powers and a member of the Kentucky  State Bankers Association. The present directors represent the leaders of their community. They are, Wilford M. Rice, President; R.B. Brown,  an attorney; C.W. Ransler,  real estate; Geo. C. Kolb,  president  of Washington Bank, Cincinnati; A.H.  Gaines,  Manager  of the Walton Lumber Company; J.C. Bedinger,  farmer;   Wm. Brittenhelm, capitalist; D.E. Dudley, retired; A.M. Edwards,  President Walton Lumber Company; G.B. Powers, real estate; R.E. Ryle, physician and D.B. Wallace, retired  banker and  capitalist. The officers are: Geo. C. Kolb, Chairman  of the Board; Wilford M. Rice, President; R.B. Brown, Vice President; C.W. Ransler, Vice President; Dr. R.E. Ryle, Vice President; Alan H. Gaines, Secretary; J.T.  Murphy, Attorney;  E. Sleet West, Cashier and J. Ben Doan and H.E. Metcalf, assistant  cashiers. The Equitable Bank and Trust Company was  organized September 7,  1907  by J.G. Tomlin, A.B. Tompkins, D.B. Wallace, J.L. Vest and R.M. Byland who made up a capital stock of $50,000.00.  At the first meeting of the stockholders the following  men were elected  as directors: C.L. Griffith, Pres.; J.L. Vest, Vice Pres.; J.B. Donaldson, B.B. Allphin, A.B. Thompson, R.B. Brown, T.T. Metcalf,  J.C. Miller,  O.S. Watts, W.M. Hudson  and H.A.  Perkins. D.B. Wallace was the first cashier and served  as such until  elected  president about 1915,   serving in  the latter  capacity until 1925  when he retired and John C. Miller became  president.  The bank  was successful  from the start and  payed a six percent dividend the first year then eight, ten, twelve,  and fourteen percent each year thereafter. The Walton Deposit Bank  was started in 1890 as the first  bank  in Walton, and as a matter  of fact the only bank between Williamstown and Covington. The Capital stock  of $25,000 was made  up but only one half was called for the other half being made up by dividends which was the regular practice in those days. The first  officers and directors were Dr. Allen,  President; T.F. Curley, vice  president; D.M. Bagby, John Hogins,  John T. McClure, Elijah Greene, John T. Johnson and Geo. W. Ransler, R.C. Greene  was the first cashier until he followed Mr. Bagby into  office  as  President. In 1907  the name of the bank  was  changed  to the Walton Bank and Trust Company when R.C. Gaines was  elected  president serving until July  1929.  


from the 1930 historical edition of The Boone County Recorder