Mr. Bertram, the proprietor of this handsome building carries a large and complete line of drugs, paints, oils, stationary, wall paper, window shades, queensware, and glassware; also table and pocket cutlery, mouldings, picture frames, school and blank books, and a stock of jewelry. Mr. Bertram also enjoys a fine trade in the surrounding county as well as in the city. He is one of Augusta's hustling young business men, and deserves success.
Mr. Bertam was born in Cincinnati and graduated from the Cincinnati School of Pharmacy in the class of 1877-78. He entered business in Augusta as a clerk in the firm of L. P. Knoedler & Co. In 1882, he commenced business for himself on the corner of Second and Upper Streets, and moved to this building, which he himself had erected, in the fall of 1895.
From an 1897 edition of Headlight: Sights and Scenes Along the C. & O. Route which featured Augusta.