James A. Powers
Mr. Powers was born in Westmoreland County, Virginia, March 18, 1836, and was married to Mrs. Eleanor E. Omohundro, December 17, 1860. To this union were born eight children, five girls and three boys, all of whom are living. Mr. Powers enlisted in the Confederate services in April, 1861, in the One Hundred and Eleventh Regiment, commanded by Colonel Warren Hutt, who appointed and commissioned Mr. Powers as quartermaster of his regiment during his command. Mr. Powers afterwards served with Colonel Jenkins as aid to the close of the war. He moved with his family to Augusta in September, 1867, and entered the dry goods and leaf tobacco business with his brother, S. T. Powers. After four years he devoted himself entirely to the tobacco business, which, together with real estate, he has continued until the present time.
In 1889 Mr. Powers had the sad misfortune to lose his wife, a noble and inestimable woman; a great loss to him in his declining years. His eight children cluster around him now, giving him the attention and assistance which is necessary for his comfort in his time of life.
P. B. Powers, manger of this establishment was born in Virginia in 1849, and moved to Augusta in 1870. He commenced the dry goods business in 1875, and has continued in it ever since, with the exception of five years. The house is now located on Elizabeth and Railroad Streets, and carries a full stock of clothing, boots and shoes, hats and caps, dress goods, notions, and gents furnishings.
Mr. Powers has been a member of the school board for ten years, during which term the handsome new school building was erected, and Mr. Powers was one of the strongest supporters. He was also actively and substantially interested in the erection of a new Baptist Church and in the advancement of his own city.
From an 1897 edition of Headlight: Sights and Scenes Along the C. & O. Route which featured Augusta.