|Speers Memorial Hospital||Speers Hospital||Speers faced West|
|Speers Entrance||Speers Nurse Marcella
|Thanks to Charlie Schicht for these images.|
Sole Benefactor of Speers Hospital, about whom very little is known
|Speers closed September 1, 1973. It was the first hospital in NKY to have a computer. Architect was
George Vogel, Jr. who died on October 29, 1897. 14 nuns lived on the second floor after the closure,
and St.E. operated a clinic on the first floor for a while. Demolition began in May of 1978. A Jack Hicks
column in the Enquirer (May 29, 1978) notes that the state regulates the number of hospital beds in
the state, and that St. Luke was able to build a long sought addition shortly after Speers closed. He also
notes “St. Elizabeth syphoned off the best equipment and soon closed the facility.”
|A few words on the origins of
Speers Hospital are here.
|In the early 1950's, Speers published a
cookbook. Mrs. C. Cornelius' recipe for Rocks is here.
Thanks! to Charlie Schicht for a bunch of these SpeerHospital pictures.