york street

York Street, North
 from Seventh, 1909

York Street, looking
North from Sixth

York Street, South
 from Fifth, Newport

 

York Street, looking North, Newport, 1912
 (That's Newport National Bank on the left, Louis C. Eisenschmidt,  Jeweler and Optometrist on the right. Attorney's on the second  floor of the bank building are Frank V. Benton, and Aubrey Barbour.  Eisenschmidt advertised "Rockford Watches, Elgin Watches, Waltham Watches,  Seth Thomas Clocks, Dueber Cases, Jewelry, Silverware and  Spectacles, etc, at prices as low as the lowest.")

 

Looking North on York

 Masonic Temple, Newport

The Temple Theatre, Newport
southeast corner, 11th & York

 

 

 

York Street, North

 

The Finance Building was at
Fourth and York.
Built in 1926, it was Campbell
 County's tallest building.

 

Interior, Music Hall
southeast corner,
11th & York

Ben Pelzer's Cafe, 6th
and York, Newport

3rd and York,
 c. 1939

 

Whittmeyer Brothers,
7th & York
Ad from Louis
 Eisenschmidt
Davis Millinery,
 623 York
Kenneth Michaels and Edward Jarvis were printers at 508 York

 

Newport Travelodge

"A splendid American flag thirty feet long, and made of silk-merino, has been hoisted over Butcher's Hall, on York street, at Newport, Ky., the head quarters of the Independent Union Home Guard." - from Frankfort's Tri-Weekly Commonwealth, May 3, 1861.

"Newport, Ky., July 4 [1904]. - An effort was made in Newport by the street railway company to get ahead of the youngsters who place torpedoes on the tracks in celebration of the Fourth.  Pieces of carpet were suspended directly in front of the wheels, and the explosives were thus swept from the rails.

For a while the patriotic youngsters were in sackcloth and ashes, but a bright little chap, whose operations were carried on at the corner of York and Fourth streets, devised a plan to checkmate the company.  He placed his torpedoes along the track and then placed a wire in the earth beside the rail.  This caused the carpet to make a swing, and before it could settle in place, the wheels passed over the explosives.

His scheme was adopted by boys all over town, who enjoyed getting ahead of the street car company more than they did the noise they made.    from the Warsaw Independent, July 9, 1904.
 

Home  Back to Campbell County Images   Contact me   Copyright