The Cincinnati Industrial area is now the home of two leading independent, or "little steel," producers. The oldest of these is the Andrews Steel Company-Newport Rolling Mills, founded in 1891. At the plant of the Andrews Steel Company, on Licking Pike beyond the corporate limits of Newport, stand the open hearth furnaces. The steel ingots and bars of these furnaces are taken to the Newport Rolling Mills, Ninth and Lowell Streets, Newport, where they are hot-or-cold-rolled into sheets and plates which are later galvanized or finished. Combined, the two plants give employment to about three thousand persons.
from They Built A City, compiled and written by the Cincinnati Writers' Project of the WPA, and published by the Cincinnati Post in 1938, p. 206