All of Louisville was owned by on Dr. John Connally, who sold half of it to Campbell for $4,091, plus a note for $753. Connally's land grant was later invalidated as a land grab, and when the Virginia legislature issued a charter for a city at the Falls of the Ohio on May 1, 1780, Connally's grant was invalidated, but Campbell's was upheld.
It was several years later when Campbell actually came to Louisville to collect payment for his land, and found the town trustees had divided much of it into lots, and sold them to various individuals.
To meet Campbell's claims, the city had to sell of all the remaining public lots except a cemetery and the Court House Square.
from Louisville Panorama, by R. C Riebel, 1954