Lodge Awaits Hammer
A familiar Ft. Thomas landmark, Summit Lodge at 1227 South Fort Thomas Avenue, will be dismantled soon to make way for a filling station.
Robert E. Wood and his son, Robert, Jr., operators of the widely known eating place the last 25 years, disclosed Friday that they have sold to the Ashland Oil Co., Ashland, Ky., for $60,000.
The Summit Lodge doors closed last Saturday night. Last patrons to be served at the 74 year old restaurant were Campbell Circuit Judge Fred M. Warren and his son Fred Jr.
Robert Wood Jr. told the Enquirer, “We must vacate the property by January 1, 1868 and will move our complete operation to The Lodge, Third and York Streets, Newport.”
Mr. Wood and his son have operated a new restaurant in Newport for a year.
Built in 1893 the Fort Thomas restaurant originally known as Dietrich Club House of the Highlands. The Dietrich family operated a popular German type beer garden at the site many years until the prohibition era was ushered in more than four decades ago after which the eating place closed several years.
The late George Hilbert of Newport acquired the large stone building in the 1930's. Renamed Summit Lodge, the property was leased by Robert E. Wood, a quarter century ago, and Mr. Wood and his son purchased the 150 by 150 site about 10 years ago.
When the Beverly Hills was in its hey day in nearby Southgate, many entertainers at the celebrated night spot boarded at Summit Lodge.
The City of Ft. Thomas' first liquor by the drink license was issued to Summit Lodge in 1963 after a hectic campaign involving citizens for and against the permit.
from the Cincinnati Enquirer, November 25, 1967