Inverness was the second golf course in all of Greater Cincinnati, and was a nine hole course built very shortly after the turn of the century. Tennis, as well as golf, was popular, and both sports drew participants from beyond Fort Thomas. The Inverness course was in the area now defined by Fort Thomas Avenue on the east, Memorial Parkway on the West, Waterworks Avenue on the South, and Southgate Avenue on the north.
The club opened on July 21, 1900, with a reception from 3 to 7, and a dance from 8 to 12. The July 23 Post reported that "The quaint clubhouse, with its pretty ballroom artistically festooned in red and white bunting and American flags, its old fashioned wood fire place, banked with daisies and ferns and tennis rackets, nets and pictures placed effectively about, presented a brilliant scene."
But for whatever reason, the location was not satisfactory, and the club bought new grounds "in the Kentucky Highlands...on the Ft. Thomas car line" - the present day Fort Thomas Country Club. The new club had 40 acres, the old one a mere 25. The lease on the ground was running out, and besides, the lessee, the Highland Land Company, wanted to turn the golf course into lots for housing. The Club gave up operations shortly thereafter.
The Enquirer reported on Nov. 25, 1909, that the club was folding, that there would be a farewell banquet for members "who pledged financial aid toward keeping the club [open] during the past summer." The article also notes that the club would go out of existence after the first of the month, and any remaining funds in the treasury would be given to charity.
The clubhouse you see here burned down in 1910. The Newspaper story of the final burning is here.
The second golf course in Fort Thomas was at the Highland Country Club, which was organized in 1915.