Bramblett Baptist Church
Bramblett Baptist Church has some history, due to location and original date.
The first building was of logs cut out of the woods and hewed by hand in or about 1849. There was a small window in back of the pulpit, which furnished light for the preacher to read by.
Joel Williams and Granville Deatherage, grandfathers of Paul M. Williams and Wm. Deatherage, respectively, were two of the original builders of the church.
They had only day service, Saturday and Sunday, sometimes once each month, other times not so often. The preacher came by horseback, spending his short stay with some member family of his church. His pay was usually yarn socks knitted by the women and jeans cloth woven by them, as each family did its own knitting and weaving in those days.
At a much later date, during a Saturday service, there was a large hard rain, some called it a cloudburst, causing Lick creek to rush out of its banks and get into the building, creating so much excitement that in trying to escape, one lady drowned.
There was a warm social atmosphere about the old church, the congregation lingering long in pleasant weather to engage in conversation after the services.
The present church was constituted about 1870, and has a membership now of about 75, with Rev. A. T. Arnold, pastor. Preaching services every second and fourth Sundays.
Mentioning some of the pastors - there was Rev. Louis Salin, a converted Jew, who visited the home of T. H. Golden, member of the church, whose family was away from home for the day and had left a pot of beans cooking. It being a cold winter day, Rev. Salin left a terse note reading, "Louis Salin hath been here and eat a pot of beans." There was also Forrest Smith, who afterwards preached at some of the big churches in Texas, including Waco; Rev. Clark Riley, and many others.
Mrs. Nannie Ellis is the only one of the immediate families of the builders of the church now living. She is daughter of Joel Williams, mentioned above, and lives in Covington.
Among the substantial members of the past were Breeden, Coleman, Golden, Ellis, Frazier, Bethel, Jacobs, Smith, Williams, and Deatherage families.
The church is still called Bramblett, though the town bears the name of Carson. When a post office was established, it was found there was another town in the State with the name Bramblett, so Congressman Albert Barry's secretary gave the office the new name of Carson. Owen William's father of Paul M. Williams, was postmaster.
Prepared by Wm. Deatherage. Originally in Carroll County, construction of I-71 caused the original Bramblett Church to re-locate, and it's now in Gallatin County.