Campbell County Schools
A D Owens School-was built in 1959 in front of the old York Street School in Newport and is a large two story buff brick building. It is named after Anderson D Owens who was a graduate of Newport High School. He taught in the high school in the early 1920s and later became principal of the high school and then superintendent about 1925. He served as superintendent until the early 1960s when he retired.
Abbott Elementary-was a one room frame school located at the intersection of Pleasant Ridge and Boone Smith Roads close to the Pendleton County line. It was also known as Forest Grove and was in use by 1885. It closed in 1936 when it consolidated with Grants Lick.
Alexandria #1-built in 1872 was a one-room brick continuously used school building. It was first a public school, and then later as a Catholic grade and high school room and was torn down in 1990.
Alexandria #2-was built onto the first building in 1921. A one-story brick building with two prominent bell towers with a gym added in 1928. It was closed in 1948 and purchased as a Catholic school by St. Mary's Parish.
Alexandria #3-was built on US 27 in 1948. A two-story brick building with a full basement, it served as an elementary school until 1960, when it became part of the high school built next door.
Alexandria #4-was built in 1960 on Orchard Lane and is a series of individual buildings each housing a grade level or two. Additions were added in 1965 and 1980.
Anderson School-north east corner of John Anderson's land in the Hyland District of Fort Thomas. It was opened in the 1850s.
Arnold Elementary School-originally built in the 1860s in Newport on Cabot Street, was a 3 story brick building with 12 rooms. By 1875 it was called the Cabot Street School with W C Dunkhorst educator and Miss Fanny Perry as a teacher. By 1890s it was called the Arnold School. It was badly damaged by the 1937 and 1945 floods and in 1958 a new building was dedicated. In 1981 the school was closed as schools were consolidated. Today the Campbell County Jail sits on the site.
Aspen Grove Elementary-was a one room frame school located on Highway 9 at Sun Valley, also called "Slop-town" school. It was in operation by 1871 and closed in 1936 when it consolidated with Grants Lick.
Baker Elementary-was a log one room school built before 1879 in a wooded area off Clay Ridge Road in the Grants Lick area. It was also known as Union as well as Oak Land Elementary and was closed in 1936 to consolidate with Grants Lick.
Beech Grove Academy-first started in 1858 on Smith Road and was also a seminary. A two story brick building was built in 1869 by Rev James M Jolly, was also called Flagg Springs School. It was torn down in 1911.
Beech Grove Elementary-replaced the original building in 1911 and was a two room brick school identical to Oakland 12 Mile. It closed in 1928 when A J Jolly Elementary and High School opened.
Bellevue Public School-opened in 1871 at Center and Lafayette Avenue. The first superintendent was J S Hart. Its first graduating class was in 1888. In 1907 a high school was constructed on Center Street. In 1931 another high school was built. Center Elementary opened in 1966. Center Street High School is now closed.
Bethal Elementary-was a one room frame school off Washington Trace Road in the Carthage area. It was in operation in 1873.
Bishop Brossart High School-opened in 1950 in Alexandria as St. Mary's High School. In 1961 was made into an inter-parochial high school.
Brent Elementary-was a one room frame school located on a hillside overlooking Coney Island and the Ohio River. In operation by 1894, it closed in 1940.
Cabot Street School-see Arnold Elementary School
California Seminary-was in operation in the town of California and was replaced by California Elementary and High School.
California Elementary and High School-was a two story frame building in California until it closed in 1929.
Campbell County High School #1-was a rented space in a red brick building on Washington Avenue in Alexandria. Originally the Meister Brewery and later the Knights of Phythais Hall, the school met from 1909 to 1922.
Campbell County High School #2-built on land purchased from the Knights of Phythias in 1921 and was a one story brick with a full basement, two prominent bell towers. The elementary part took over the whole building in 1939. It was sold to St. Mary's Catholic Church and later became Bishop Brossart High School.
Campbell County High School #3-opened in October 1939 on U.S. 27 and was the first modern two story brick building with a fireproof projection room. Classroom additions were built in 1962 and a gym in 1969. Remodeled in 1994, it is now Campbell County Junior High School.
Campbell County High School #4-built in 1994 on US 27-Lickert Road and Route 9-Licking Pike in Claryville and opened in the fall of 1995.
Carthage Elementary-was a one story frame building in use as early as 1875 and closed in 1938
Central School-opened 3 June 1885 in Highlands, now Ft. Thomas; many smaller schools were closed and consolidated into this one. In 1888 a 3 year high school course was started. By 1894 two additional schools were built, Grant Street School closed in 1911 and the other near Inverness. Central was enlarged in 1907 and combined with Mt. Pleasant School in 1916. It was renamed in 1931 the Ruth Moyer Elementary.
Claryville Elementary #1-was located 1 1/2 blocks from Millers Road. #2 was a one room frame building, was across the road from Miller Road and closed in 1936.
Clay Ridge Elementary-was a frame school building with one room opened in 1890 and closed in 1936. It was also known as the Gosney School.
Cold Spring Elementary-was built in 1922 as a one story to replace the Walnut Hills Academy which had burned. A second story was added in 1929 with additional rooms added in 1956, 1959 and in the 1980s.
Corpus Christi Church School-began in 1848 and in 1863 a three story brick building was put up. In 1903, due to the constant threat of flood at their 6th Street site in Newport, it built another school that looked like a Spanish mission, built of rock with three stories. In 1922 a commercial and high school opened on Isabella Street in a two story brick. It closed in 1980 and merged with other schools to become Holy Spirit Elementary.
Cote Brilliante Elementary School-was at Carmel Park Avenue and Grant; a two-story brick beginning in the 1890s; it was sold to St. Francis de Sale Catholic Church, and later annexed into Newport Public School system. It has been since torn down.
Dale Elementary#1-was a one room frame building on Crowell Avenue just outside the Ft. Thomas city limits. It burned in the 1920s.
Dale Elementary#2-was built in 1926 and set a few feet behind the original building. It was a two story frame with classrooms on both floors. It closed in 1931.
Dale Elementary #3-was built on Main and Renshaw Avenue in Highland Heights in 1931, a two story brick building and was renamed in 1960 to Highland Heights Elementary.
Dayton Schools-formed in 1867 from Jamestown and Brooklyn, the 6th Street School of Jamestown closed and became the Dayton City Hall. Lincoln served as a high school until 1904 and as an elementary until it burned in 1952.. Eighth Street School burned in 1924. A new high school was built and served until 1983 when another new school was built.
Donald E Cline Middle School-is a two story brick building on East Alexandria Pike in Cold Spring. Cline was a teacher and administrator in the Campbell County schools, a former football coach, math teacher and principal at Campbell County High School and was serving as as assistant superintendent when he died in the 1970s.
Dry Ridge Elementary-was first a one room frame school opened in 1890 and closed in 1914. The second was also a one room frame building and closed in 1936 to merge with Grants Lick.
East Clifton School-annexed into Newport Public School system.
Elm Grove Elementary-was a one room frame school located on 4 and 12 Mile Road by 1874 and closed in 1931.
English School-opened in Newport in 1810 by Mr. and Mrs. George Payne from Virginia. It charged $2 per quarter of eleven weeks.
Fischer Road Elementary-was a one room school on the Pendleton County border that closed in 1928.
Fort Thomas School-opened in 1832 in the northern section "at a point on or near the northern boundary of the (Inverness) County Club grounds." The lot was granted by Richard Taliaferro without charge of any kind while retaining ownership of the land. It eventually became the Mt. Pleasant School.
Fourth Street School-built in 1936 in Newport. It sits on the site of the original Newport Academy and Newport High School #1.
Grand Avenue Elementary-was a two room school in 1880 located on Grand Avenue 600 feet from South Highland Avenue. It closed in 1900.
Grandview School-annexed into Newport Public School system.
Grant Street School-built in 1894 in the southern part of the Highlands district, now Fort Thomas.
Grants Lick Elementary #1-was located on a hill above Kenton Station and Clay Ridge Roads in 1869 and used until 1916.
Grants Lick Elementary #2-was also built on a hill on Clay Ridge Road from the first building. It was a one room frame building built in 1916 and used until 1936.
Grants Lick Elementary #3-was built in 1935 by the WPA in an Old Colonial design and is still in use today. Additions were added in 1951, 1961 and the 1980s.
Grays Hill Elementary-was a one room frame school located on the corner of Murnan Road and Highway 9 in use by 1887. It was closed in 1936.
Gubser Mill Elementary-was a one room rural school that closed in 1936.
Hawthorne Elementary-was a one room frame built on a 1/2 acre lot on Poplar Thicket opened by 1870 and closed in 1936.
Heck Road School-was a one room log school on Heck Road outside Cold Spring closed in the 1890s.
Hickory Grove Elementary-was a one room frame located at the corner of Wagner and California crossroads. It opened 1879-1881 and closed in 1927 to combine with the Persimmon Grove school.
Highland Heights Elementary-built in 1931 as Dale School, its name changed in the 1930s. Located at Main and Renshaw Avenue it was a two story brick building. Additions were added in 1938, 1948, 1959 and the 1980s.
Hopeful Elementary-was a one room frame built around 1900 and replaced Sugar Camp School that had been destroyed. This school got its name hoping it would not happen again. It closed in 1936 and was located on Fairlane Drive in Grants Lick.
Immaculate Academy-was a high school that began in 1861 in Newport. In 1864 a tall school building was built. Between 1898-1901 an additional building was used. The school closed in 1932 and was torn down in 1940.
Immaculate Conception-first opened an elementary school in 1857 in Newport. In 1863 a two story addition was added. In 1893 a three story brick building was opened. The school and church closed in 1968.
Inverness School-built in 1894 in the Highlands district, now Fort Thomas, but residents traditionally called it the Mount Pleasant School. It closed in 1923.
Jamestown School-first built in 1847 on Main Street, and over the years schools were on 3rd, 5th and 6th Streets. In 1867 Jamestown combined with Brooklyn to become Dayton.
Johns Hill Elementary-the original school was a log one room building was torn down in 1907. The second Johns Hill was built in 1908 and was a one room frame located on Johns Hill Road near Northern Kentucky University. It closed in 1936.
Johnson Elementary-is in Fort Thomas and is named for Robert Dimmitt Johnson who is said to have been the first Ft. Thomas man killed in WWI. He died on June 8, 1918 while serving as a marine sergeant in the battle of Belleau Wood in France. It opened in September 1923.
A J Jolly Elementary and High School-was a two story brick located on Highway 8 near Mentor and built in 1926. It endured the Great '37 Flood which rose to the ceiling on the first floor. A concrete block building, the "Cannery" was added for an agriculture class and used as a building during WWII in which the public could can their own food. The school was named for A J Jolly, an educator from Mentor, who died at 43. He taught in Campbell County, Augusta and Bedford. He owned the Southern School Journal, a trade newspaper and A J Jolly School Supply Co. He was assistant state superintendent of schools under Governor O A Stanley and served one term as a state representative. he was a candidate for re-election when he died in August 1925.
Licking Valley Elementary-was a one room school also known as Pooles Creek School. It was built in 1911 was an arched doorway and cloak rooms and is located at the corner of Pooles Creek Road and Licking Pike. It closed in 1936.
Maple Valley Elementary-was a one room log building located on Persimmon Grove Pike. In use by 1874, it closed in 1936 and had round topped windows in it.
(Charles E) McCormick Vocational School-is a modern looking building built in 1974. Named for a Campbell County Superintendent, it serves as an area trades school, located on US 27 and Orchard Lane in Alexandria.
Melbourne Elementary-was a one room school on Highway 8. When Ross School down the road closed, they picked up the building and brought it to Melbourne, connected two buildings and refused to close the school when consolidation occurred. Some even kept their children out of school for a year.
Mentor School-was a one room school from 1908 until 1926, located across the railroad tracks off Highway 8 in the Junior Order Masons building until the A J Jolly was build.
Mildred Dean Elementary-opened in 1960 in Newport and is named after a longtime teacher who also was the principal of the old Fourth Street School. She died in the 1950s and her name was selected when the Cote Brilliant school was replaced.
Mount Pleasant School-was a log building near Inverness in the Highlands District, now Ft. Thomas and was the first in the Highlands area. Built in 1832 in the norther section at the present site at the intersection of Holly Lane and North Fort Thomas Avenue. Originally called Fort Thomas School, the lot was granted by Richard Taliaferro without charge of any kind while retaining ownership of the land.
Mount Saint Martin's-originally the home of Keturah Taylor Jones, granddaughter of General James Taylor built in 1850. Later operated by the Sisters of Divine providence at 15th and Monmouth streets in Newport as Our Lady of Providence. It closed in 1983 and was used as an apartment building. It was torn down in the early 1990s and a K-Mart was built on the site.
Mount Vernon School-was a small one room frame building built around 1850 in Fort Thomas. Captain Blanchford of Carter's Lane deeded the lot for school purposes. It was across from Newman Avenue on Highland Avenue and served as the only school in Fort Thomas until the late 1800s. It became the Highland Hills Baptist Church until 1968 when it was torn down.
Ruth Moyer Elementary-this Ft. Thomas school is named after a former first grade teacher, who was named principal of Central School in Ft. Thomas in 1931. Six months after the school opened, she died and the name was changed to honor her.
Newport Academy-chartered by the state December 22, 1798. Richard Southgate, James Taylor and Thomas Kennedy were among the trustees named. It opened in April 1800 and the first teacher was Rev Robert Stubbs. It was built on 4th Street in Newport on land that was given by James Taylor and was a three story brick building. Originally known as Seminary School, it became part of the Newport School System in 1860. The building was used until 1873.
Newport Catholic High School-began as a boys school named St. Stephens High School on Washington Avenue in Newport in 1929. In 1932 the St Stephens name was dropped. In 1934 it moved to the Immaculate Academy building and stayed until 1945 when it moved to the old Corpus Christi Commercial School site at 9th and Washington. In 1954 a new building was built at 12th and Monmouth. In 1983 Our Lady of Providence, a girls school closed and merged with Newport Catholic.
Newport High School-built in 1872 at the corner of Ringgold (now 8th Street) and Columbia; was the site of the original Newport City Cemeterywhich was moved to Evergreen by 1850. This building was a three story brick building and used until 1924.
Newport High School #3-built in 1924 next to the 9th street School. It had three stories, a prominent bell tower, with a gym added in 1928 and an auditorium in 1931. In 1981 it became the Newport Junior High.
Newport High School #4-built in 1980 on land next to I-471 and is a modern two story brick structure.
Newport Public School-the first free public school was a log cabin located on Cabot Street (now Central Ave) in 1836.
Ninth Street School-located behind Newport High School #3 built on the Harris Street School site in 1904.
Oakgrove Elementary-was a one room log school located on Burns Road in Grants Lick; also called the Rardin School closed in 1927. It was torn down but the logs were used in the construction of the Campbell County Log Cabin Historical Center Museum by Kenneth Reis in 1981 of Grants Lick.
Oakland Elementary-was really Oakland Church in Grants Lick and was used as a school. When the state ruled in 1913 that churches and school had to be separate, the school moved out.
Oakland Twelve Mile School-was a stone school building in Grants Lick closed in 1913 and merged with Oakland Elementary. The resulting school was a one floor two room brick building on the corner of 4 and 12 Mile Road and Lickbranch Road. This closed in 1938.
Our Lady of Highlands-in 1866 land was purchased by the Sisters of Good Shepherd for this school. It was first a frame building and later a stone one that operated for 100 years, closed in the 1990s and torn down.
Our Lady of Providence-opened in 1889 in Newport in the old Jones Taylor Mansion off Monmouth Street. It later moved into its own building at 6th and Linden. It closed in 1983 when it merged with the boys school to form Newport Central Catholic.
Park Avenue-Dora Cummings Elementary-was a three story brick building built in 1890 in Newport with a large tower like stairwell. It burned in 1940, but was rebuilt. Renamed for Dora Cummings school principal 1914-1939. It closed in 1980. A 1920 postcard of Park Avenue School is posted on Postcards from the Past.
Persimmon Grove Pike Elementary Schools-in 1876 a one room school opened near Persimmon Grove Baptist Church. It closed in 1927 and was torn down. A new two room school was built and closed in 1936.
Pleasant Ridge Elementary-began as a one room building in 1885, then closed and opened in another one room building a short distance away. The second closed in 1936. It was sold and moved to Maddox Road.
Plum Creek Elementary-was a one room frame building located in the now parking lot of Plum Creek Christian Church on US 27 in Fairlane. It closed in 1936.
Pond Creek School #1-began in a tiny one room frame school before 1890 and located on the corner of Indian Trace and Pond Creek Roads. It closed in 1916. The building was sold and moved.
Pond Creek School #2-a one room frame school built on the same site as the first one, had a wall of windows and closed in 1936.
Poplar Ridge Elementary-small one room school located at Poplar Ridge and Neltner Roads began in 1888. It closed in 1921.
Poplar Thicket School-located in the extreme southwestern section of the county.
John W Reiley Middle School-built in 1979 as South Campbell County Middle School. The name changed in 1987. It is a two story brick named after a former superintendent of schools who served from 1905 to 1942. Reiley began working in the Campbell County School system in 1891. During his administration the public schools in rural Campbell County merged, resulting in six elementary schools and one high school. He died in 1950.
Ross Elementary-built on Highway 8 and dates back to 1872; a one room frame building closed in 1936 moved to Melbourne and is today still attached to the old Melbourne School.
Sacred Heart Catholic School-opened in 1875 on Division Street in Bellevue. In 1897 a 2 story frame building was erected. By 1915 a nine room building was put up.
Saint Anthony Catholic School-began in 1888 for the non-German speaking families from Sacred Heart in Bellevue. It was held in the church until 1930 when a school was built. In 1987 Sacred Heart and Saint Anthony merged into Saint Michaels School.
Saint Catherine of Siena Church School-built in 1950 in Ft. Thomas
Saint Francis Catholic Church School-opened in 1888 in Dayton but closed in 1915 because of bankruptcy. It was renamed St. Bernard's Catholic Church School and classes were held there until 1925 when another school was built.
Saint Francis de Sales-started its school in the old Cote Brilliant School building in Newport and later built its own building in 1950. It closed in 1980 and merged with other schools to become Holy Spirit Elementary.
Saint Johns Elementary-was a log building in Wilder on Johns Hill Road that burned in 1857. It moved to Licking Pike in 1858 and closed in 1981.
Saint Joseph Camp Springs Elementary-began at Four Mile in 1851 in a log building that was torn down in 1968. A one story frame and stone building was built in 1868 and used until 1934. Another building was added and is presently in use.
Saint Joseph Cold Spring Elementary-was a one room frame school in 1882, a larger two story frame school was added in 1892 and used until 1929. In 1931 a brick building was built and is still in use.
Saint Joseph Orphanage School-located in Cold Spring on US 27 was a one school building built in 1871 but was converted into a hospital in 1901. Another building was built and used as a school until the orphanage merged with St. Johns Orphanage becoming the Diocesan Catholic Children's Home in Ft. Mitchell in 1961.
Saint Mary's Elementary and High School-began its elementary in one room in 1867 in Alexandria next to the church. A two story building was later built. In 1949 the church started a high school. In 1961 the Diocese took over the high school and renamed it Bishop Brossart High School.
Saint Peter and Paul Elementary-began in 1857 in 12 Mile and Gubser's Mill in the church. Later a one floor brick school was built and over the years many buildings have been added.
Saint Philip Elementary-established in 1909 in Melbourne and began in the church. In 1922 a four room building was built and in 1960 a parish hall was added.
Saint Stephens Elementary-opened in 1855 in Newport at 9th and Saratoga Streets. In 1868 the church built 2 three story buildings at 9th and Washington. One was used as a boys school and the other a girls school. In 1913 these buildings closed and a new school built at 9th and Washington. In 1980 it closed and merged with other schools to become Holy Spirit Elementary.
Saint Therese of the Little Flower Catholic School-began in the Old Heidelberg resort building in Southgate on US 27 in 1927 and was enlarged in 1936. In Jan 1953 a new school was built and a gym added in 1988.
Saint Thomas Church School-started in 1903 as an elementary on Grand Avenue in Ft. Thomas. Later it moved to Ft. Thomas Avenue. Another school was built there, with a high school in 1945. It closed in 1976 and is now only the elementary.
Saint Vincent de Paul School-opened in1916 on Main Street in Newport and was added onto in 1927. It closed in 1980 and merged with other schools to become Holy Spirit Elementary.
Silver Grove Public School-was first held in a house in 1912. The railroad donated land for a school to be built in 1928 which was a two story brick building. The '37 Flood caused records to be lost. Additions were added in 1959, Elementary, 1969, Middle School, and 1979, High School. The old building closed and was torn down in 1986.
Stillwell Elementary-opened as a one room school in 1862 a quarter mile from where Grays Hill Elementary had been. It closed in 1887.
South Newport School-a boys boarding school opened in 1801 by Rev Robert Stubbs after a falling out as the first president and teacher at the Newport Academy. James Taylor's children enrolled in this school.
Southgate Public Schools-began in 1901 when citizens of South Newport petitioned for a school separate from Newport. A two room school was built and enlarged in1916. In 1930 another building was built that contained a gym, cafeteria and classrooms.
Southgate Street School-is a two story brick building in Newport on Southgate Street that was attended by African American children. It opened in 1873 and closed in 1955. It is now on the historical register and is being rebuilt.
Sugar Grove Elementary #1-located off Schababer Hill Road made of logs and was in use by the 1880s. Located near a creek at the bottom of a valley it closed in 1909.
Sugar Grove Elementary #2-built in 1911 on top of the hill above the first one on Wesley Chapel Road; a large one room building had cloak rooms on either side of the front doors and closed in 1938.
Sylvan Dell Elementary-was a one room log school at the corner of 10 Mile and Fender Roads in operation by 1886. It was replaced with a one room frame on Fender Road and closed in 1930 and was torn down.
Ten Mile Elementary-was a small one room frame on a ridge above East Alexandria Pike from 1888 until 1923.
Tenth Street School-built in 1903 on the corner of Patterson and 10th Streets in Newport, a two story brick building to replace the Walnut Street Elementary. Closed in 1959.
Trapp Elementary-was a one room frame school near the 10 Mile House Tavern on Highway 9 as early as 1891. It closed in 1935 and later burned down.
Tug Fork Elementary-was also known as Four Mile School located opposite Tug Fork Road on Four Mile Pike. A one room frame in operation in 1908 and closed in 1935.
Twelve Mile Elementary-was one of only two one room stone schools; located on Washington Trace Road (which means horse path to Washington from Kentucky) in existence in 1833 and closed 1913. It combined with Oakland into a two room brick school building.
Two Mile School-in 1799 a mention is made of a private school also known as the "English School" located "2 miles" from the Ohio River on what is now US 27 or Alexandria Pike.
Uhl Road School-was a one room stone school located at the corner of Uhl and Messmer Hill Roads. In use by 1880s was closed by 1890, and torn down in 1900 by John and Jacob Barth. It had a cedar shake roof.
Union Street Elementary-a frame school room built around 1850 on Alexandria Pike, a short distance beyond St Stephens Cemetery in Ft Thomas and was a rural public school in the Highlands District.
Walnut Street Elementary-operated 1896-1903 in Newport. It was replaced with the 10th Street Elementary.
Walnut Hills Academy-located in Cold Spring at the corner of US 27 and East Alexandria Pike, this building began as a private academy. Built in 1857 and run by Rev Petitt, it was a two story brick with a large second floor porch. Taken over by the Union Army during the Civil War, it became the headquarters for Union troops that controlled Alexandria Pike. President Lincoln is said to haven spoken off the porch during a visit. The Civil War put financial burdens on the school and it was sold to the citizens of Cold Spring as an elementary school. It burned in 1919 and was replaced by the present Cold Spring school.
Samuel Woodfill Elementary-was constructed in Ft. Thomas in 1921. It was named after Samuel Woodfill, a 35 year old Army Lt. who on October 12, 1918, attacked and destroyed three German machine gun posts, killing 19 Germans and capturing three. He was described by General John J Pershing as the most outstanding American soldier in WWI and was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor. He served as a training officer during WWII, died in 1951 and is buried in Arlington Cemetery.
York Street School-was a large two story brick building on the corner of York and 12th in Newport, also known at the 4th District Elementary. It was torn down in 1859. To see a 1900 4th Grade School Photo go to Schools.
from http://www.newportschools.com/schools%20list.htm, a defunct web site. To see it, copy the url to the Wayback Machine.