Carroll County Antiquities
About one-fourth of a mile from the Kentucky River, on the second bank of the Ohio, and about 100 yards from the latter river, there are the remains of a fortification; of a circular form, about 120 feet in diameter, situated on level ground.
About two miles from the mouth of the Kentucky, there are also the remains of what must have been a formidable fortification, situated on an eligible point, and of quadrangular form.
The heavy embankment on which it was erected, is evidently of artificial construction, and must have been made at great labor and expense. It includes about an acre of ground and is so graded as to throw the water from the center in every direction. In the west and north of the fort, the paths, and roads leading to the water, and which were doubtless used for the general purposed of ingress and egress, are still distinctly marked an visible (in 1847).
A third ancient fortification, the remains of which are still seen (in 1872), is situated on the top of the Ohio River Hills, two and one half miles above Carrollton. The area of the fortification was some three or four acres, and it was originally by rough stone walls. It is now covered by large timber trees. Its location was such as to give a view of the Ohio River, reaching some ten miles.
There are a number of mounds in Carroll County, but generally of a small size. In 1837 one was examined, in which was found the skull and thigh bones of a human being of very large frame, together with a silver snuff box, made in the shape of an Indian's shoe.
Notes from Richard Collin's 1878 Historical Sketches of Kentucky