The Four Court Houses of Carroll County
Since Carroll used to be a part of Gallatin until 1838, the first two buildings in what is now Carrollton, that were court houses, were the court houses of Gallatin County. The first was a log structure built near the river, on Water Street, in 1799; the second a brick building, put up in 1810, where the current court house stands.
The first Carroll County Courthouse (the third court house building in Carrollton) was put up after the county was formed, in 1841, the prior building having been severely damaged in a storm. The present building, the fourth court house building, and the second Carroll County Court House Building, was erected in 1884.