It is not known by a great many people outside of this town what its original name was. It is supposed by most everybody to have had no other name than Liberty Station, but such is not the case. It was incorporated by an act of the legislature in the year of 1877, as the town of Sanders. The boundary encloses an oblong square, and is a portion of the valley known as the Eagle Valley, being on the waters of the Eagle-creek, and is devoid of undulation.
When this town was incorporated, a portion of it was in Gallatin county, and the rest in Carroll county. Thus the town of Sanders is in the east corner of Carroll county. Its debut was in the year 1868, being founded by W. B. Lindsay, of Gallatin county, known as “Butcher Bill,” who erected a building here about 8x16 feet, in which he carried on an eating saloon, and which is now being used by Charles Ellis as a coal-house.
We have a good many buildings here now, and some very substantial ones. In fact, the building-up of our town in magnitude progresses rapidly. Our population numbers between 200 and 500, and we are therefore just emerging from that state of villagehood to that of a city.
Liberty Station is not the name of the town, but it is the name of the railway station of the L. C., and L. railroad. Bramlette is the name of the post office located at this place, but mail matter addressed in either way, viz: Bramlette, Liberty Station, or Dudley, will reach us promptly. Dudley was the name of a post-office established here, but is now defunct, having been done away with on account of the Bramlette post-office being brought to this place. Bramlette is the name of a little village, once a business place, now defunct, situated about one mile from here on the Ghent and Eagle turnpike. This place now contains all of the business men – the go-a-headitives – of Dudley.
Covington’s The Commonwealth June 14, 1877