A small post village of Gallatin county, situated on the head waters of Sugar Creek, 7 miles from Warsaw, the capital of the county, 50 miles north from Frankfort, 31 miles from Covington, and 75 north-east from Louisville. It contains one Baptist Church, one Masonic Lodge (No. 216), one hotel, two general stores, one physician, two magistrates, one blacksmith, one boot and shoe maker, one saddle and harness maker, and ten or twelve resident planters. Population 40. Post office established about 1839. Wm. L. Richards, postmaster.
|Brown, Thomas||general merchant|
|Coneley, G. M.||planter|
|Elliston, Jones||justice of the peace|
|Height||boot and shoemaker, dealer|
|Holton, John N.||planter|
|Jones, Jonas||hotel proprietor|
|Landram, James P.||planter|
|Lee, Elder John W.||pastor of the Baptist Church|
|Lillard, Rev. David||planter|
|Lillard, Joseph S.||planter|
|Richards, William L.||postmaster, physician and surgeon|
|Swope, Henry F.||general merchant|
|Turley, Joseph||planter and magistrate|
| Woolf, William P.
From George W. Hawes’ Kentucky State Gazetteer and Business Directory, for 1859 and 1860