One of the oldest continuous businesses in Warsaw was Henry Johnson's barber shop. Johnson, a Black man, had his shop under the Warsaw Deposit Bank for 35 years. Warsaw Deposit was in the building still standing on the north side of High Street and Main Cross. The Independent said "old age and illness incapacitated him from work and his customers were few and far between. Twenty years ago he was the only barber in town and mad plenty of money. At that time he could do a double shuffle and shave a customer at the same time, but age and illness have made him almost a hopeless invalid. He has shaved scores of the most noted and legal lights that practiced the Warsaw bar, many of whom have long since passed to the Great Beyond. The scenes and incidents that have occurred in Johnson's barber shop would fill a book, and many of the faces of the older readers of the Independent will break into a smile at the recollections of many of the events that transpired in this old shop. (8-11-06)
He had been married and had a couple of children who are dead. His divorced wife, “Aunt” Til Johnson survives him. He served as a private soldier in Co. C. 117 Ky. Regt. Infantry in the Civil War and drew a pension for disabilities contracted during that service (8-18-06)
Estimated at 80+ years old, he had his leg amputated due to “senile gangrene,” but died shortly thereafter. His remains were buried in the “colored Odd Fellows cemetery.” Rev. C. H. Hughes of the Predestinarian Baptist Church performed the service.
from Warsaw Independent articles of 8-11-1906 and 8-18-1906.