1893 Williamstown Fire
Williamstown, Ky., April 7. – One of the most disastrous fires which has visited this town in a number of years swept over a part of the residence portion of the city this afternoon. About 3 o’clock flames were discovered issuing from the roof of a frame cottage on Mill street owned by D. C. Points. At the time the fire was discovered the wind was blowing at least forty miles an hour. The fire departments responded promptly, but before it could get a stream of water on the burning building it was wrapped in a sheet of flames from end to end.
The property of Judge C. C. Cram, occupied by him as a residence, next caught fire, and despite heroic work by the department, was completely destroyed. The next building to succumb was the large feed and stock barn belonging to W. T. Clark. While the fire on Mill street was at its height the cry was raised that buildings on Main street were also burning.
The terrific winds had carried coals of fire 300 yards, and set on fire the roof of the residence of G. W. Tucker, on Main street, and had also set fire to the lumber yard of R. H. Elliston, in which there were stored $5,000 in lumber and farming machinery. It looked for a time as if the entire residence portion of the town would be laid in waste in spite of the efforts of the fire department and the volunteer bucket brigade. The lumber yard was saved, and the flames stopped at Tucker’s house. Very little insurance was carried on the property burned.
During the height of the fire the body of Mrs. Jennie Lucky, which had been brought to this place from Dayton, Ky., for burial, was deposited in the house of Mrs. Mary Straud, which was contiguous to the burning buildings, was carried two squares by four women and left at the White House, from which point the remains were buried later in the afternoon.
It is thought the fire originated from a defective flue.
from the Boone County Recorder, April 12, 1893