Fire Licks Up Four Blocks in Thriving Town

The village of Corinth, in Grant county, on the Cincinnati Southern Railroad, about 21 miles north of Georgetown, was practically destroyed by a fire which was started about 5 o’clock  Saturday afternoon from a gasoline stove explosion in the residence of Mrs. M. A. True.  On account of the drouth and water famine the flames spread rapidly. 

Within a short time after the discovery of the blaze in the True residence, the fire had spread to and consumed all the houses on the same side of the street, with the exception of Henry Jones; store, the Farmers Bank and the store of J. W. Kennedy.  The Telephone Exchange was threatened and the operators had to abandon the building.  All the buildings on the opposite side of the street burned.

 All told 22 buildings were destroyed, as follows:  Mrs. M. True, millinery; Tom rhyme, H. R. Simmons, drugs; D. Jones, grocery post office; Jack Parrish, barber shop; J. Colson, residence; Wm. Cavanaugh, residence;  True’s blacksmith shop; Jackson’s grocery; Cottage Hotel; Exchange Hotel; Dr. Robinson’s office; B. Gross & Co.’s warehouse; Jas. Martin’s meat shop and J. W. Lancaster’s grocery.

Several hundred citizens from Williamstown, who volunteered their services, were hurried to the scene by special train and did good service in checking the flames. The loss is estimated at $50,000; insurance about $15,000.


From The Georgetown Times, November 2, 1904.