This beautiful village of do-nothings is situated on the old Licking Road, nine miles south of the county-seat, and on the stream known as Crooked Creek, deriving its name from its many short runs and crooks, which make it necessary to cross as many as thirty-nine times in one mile.  The town c onsists of one store, one black-smith shop, and a post office.  The country is very rolling and steep, but very productive, bringing fine yields of corn, wheat, rye and tobacco, and all kinds of cereals.


from Covington's The Commonwealth, October 26, 1877