On January 31, 1956, the Dry Ridge Board of Trustees voted to change the name of the town to North Williamstown. The vote was 3 to 2. They thought that the name change would link the town to the county seat, and give it more prestige. The assumption was that while people might not have heard of Dry Ridge, that many people would have heard of the county seat - Williamstown.
The name change caught the residents of Dry Ridge by surprise. However, at the next meeting of the Trustees, 300 citizens showed up. All 300 people were against the name change, and the trustees rescinded the vote, and the name went back to Dry Ridge.