New Grade Improvements
During the month of October the sister cities of Covington and Latonia, Ky., each had the pleasure of opening a new grade separation improvement made possible through the cooperation of the L & N.
On October 2 Covington's new Nineteenth Street Viaduct, which spans our Cincinnati Division, was formally opened with a program sponsored by the Kentucky Motor Club which included a parade, speaking and music. Superintendent R. D. Ross, of the Cincinnati Terminals, presented the viaduct to the city, and it was accepted by Mayor Thomas F. Donnelly.
This structure is of concrete construction, the main body being 190 feet long. It involved a change of grade for 630 feet. The approaches and driveway are 40 feet wide. The viaduct is supported by six spans, each having room for two tracks to pass underneath. The work, which was started in August, 1930, was done under contract and supervised by Resident Engineer A. A. Handley.
The Fortieth Street underpass at Latonia was opened for traffic on October 12. There was to have been a formal opening but on account of the illness of the program chairman the ceremonies were canceled. This underpass is of concrete construction of the monolithic type. The main structure is 60 feet long and forty feet wide, with a twelve foot driveway clearance. It was necessary to construct a new grade for 330 feet, and to lower Huntington Avenue for some 300 feet. Two tracks cross the underpass at present, with provision for a third track. This project, started in October, 1930, was handled by contractors under the supervision of Resident Engineer A. A. Spitzer.
from the L & N Employees Magazine, December, 1931