Covington Thirty Years Ago

Happening the other day to pick up the record of the proceedings of the Board of Trustees of the Town of Covington, commencing in 1826, we gleaned some items which will amuse as well as interest the reader.

1826, July 8.  At this early day hogs running at large were considered an annoyance if not a nuisance.  By ordinance they were taxed a 12 1/2 cents a head.

Dec. 16.  An ordinance prohibiting cock-fighting was amended so as to allow cock fighting in enclosures.  In the march of "civilized improvement" this was taking the back track.

1827, April 24.  It appears from the record that the whole amount of tax assessed on personal property in the town was about $24.56.  The delinquent list amounted to $4.50.

Each family was allowed "the privilege of keeping one dog free of tax, for the purposed of destroying the rates, and other purposes."

July 13.  The Board directed a plow to be purchased for the use of the town.

Sept. 27.  The Trustees distrusting their own ability, and "having no member of legal requirements, offered Maj. Jefferson Phelps "ten dollars as a retaining fee as counsel for the board."

1827, Dec. 3. The Board asked of the Legislature the privilege of "licensing and regulating the sale of liquors by the small."

In 1828, it appears the town owned a ferry to Cincinnati.  The superintendent was directed to pay over the receipts three times a week.

Sept. 28.  The town became the owner of a crowbar and sledge hammer, at a cost of $2.93.  The record does not show what these articles were used for.

1829, Feb. 26.  Leave was granted the Baptist church to build a meeting house on a portion of the town square.

The town seems to have had a good deal of trouble with its ferry.  There are notices of suits in Frankfort and at Cincinnati, with allowances for attorneys, &c., for attending to the same.  In May, the Board directed suit to be brought against the lessee of the Ferry for refusing to settle.  The Ferry was leased for $100 per annum.  We should judge this amount wouldn't begin to pay counsel fees in the suits in which the town was involved on account of the Ferry.

In this year was made the first movement towards a permanent improvement of the town.  John B. Casey and Lemuel M. Wilson were appointed to "negotiate a loan of $200 for paving the mouth of Greenup street."

In 1830 the Board was still in trouble about the Ferry.  A committee was appointed "to dispose of judgment against M. Harlow, on Esq. Powell's docket, at a discount of 12 1/2 cents, for the purpose of raising funds to pay counsel" in a ferry case.

In December, "Carey Clemons was appointed to erect a passageway over the ditch leading out of Greenup street at the s. e. corner of the public square, that horsemen and footmen may pass over in safety."

There are other interesting matters in these old records, which at some future say we may transcribe for the benefit of our readers.


from Covington's The Ticket, ("Always Independent, Seldom Indifferent"), September 16, 1876