New Underpass Dedicated
There were "big doings" in Latonia, Ky., Saturday evening, September 19, centering around the opening of the underpass which caries the tracks of our Louisville Division over Caroline Avenue.
"High officials, low officials and jus plain people," as a local newspaper put it, turned out to witness and participate in the formal opening and dedication ceremonies.
The program was opened by an automobile parade through the principal streets of Latonia and Covington ending up at the underpass.
An ancient street car, long out of use, was renovated and fitted out in luxurious fashion for the purpose of bringing L. & N., street railway, and city officials to the site of the ceremonies. To this car went the distinction of being the first vehicle to use the new underpass.
At eight o'clock the dedication commenced with a short address by Superintendent of Terminals, R. D. Ross, L & N, who formally presented the underpass to the city. Hon. Thomas F. Donnelly, Mayor of Covington, made the address of acceptance. These were followed by a number of other speakers. The ceremonies were concluded with music and dancing on the streets, which were blocked off for that purpose. Among the guests of honor at the dedication was the W. H. Courtenay, chief engineer of the L. & N.
The Caroline Street underpass is of concrete construction, of the monolithic type, 60 feet long and 49 feet wide. The wall paralleling the street is 430 feet long, and the clearance above the street is fourteen feet, two inches. A grade change of 520 feet was involved. Construction was begun in November, 1930, and was supervised by Resident Engineer A. A. Spitzer.
from the L & N Employees Magazine, October, 1931