St. Joseph Parish
In 1916 steps were taken to organize a parish in Crescent Springs, a thriving little town situated on the Cincinnati Southern Railroad. With the erection of a Catholic church and school, it was expected that many Catholics would establish homes in that community. In 1916, Reverend Herman Busse was appointed chaplain of St. Walburg Convent, succeeding Reverend Theodore Schmitt, O.S.B., who had been recalled to Pittsburgh by his Superior. Father Busse was also to serve as administrator of St. Joseph congregation, Crescent Springs. Under the guidance of Father Busse, the St. Joseph Parish at Crescent Springs was organized and established.
On Sunday, May 28, 1916, Bishop Brossart laid the cornerstone for the new St. Joseph Church. A large parade consisting of about fifty mounted riders, a whole regiment of the Knights of St. John, a large number of the members of the Catholic Order of Foresters and other Benevolent Societies, met the Bishop at the end of the Ft. Mitchell car line and escorted him to the site of the church. A large crowd of people from Covington, Erlanger and Ludlow were assembled on the grounds awaiting the arrival of the Bishop.
Work on the little brick church, which would have a seating capacity of about two hundred and fifty, progressed steadily. The building also included a large classroom for school purposes. By July, 1916, the building was under roof. On Sunday, September 3, 1916, Bishop Brossart dedicated the new St. Joseph Church.
The church was situated near the railroad, at a very convenient location for the parishioners. It soon became a landmark for those traveling by the railroad through Crescent Springs from Lexington to Cincinnati. A parish school was opened in September of that year, under the care of the Sisters of St. Benedict. In 1917, the parish received a large oil painting of St. Joseph, its patron Saint, the work of Johann Schmitt, Covington artist.
Father Busse continued as pastor until poor health brought about his resignation in September, 1929. After his retirement, Father Busse made his home with his sister, Mrs. Angeline Hass, in Covington. He died at St. Elizabeth Hospital, July 21, 1930, interment being made in Mother of God Cemetery.
On May 30, 1941, St. Joseph Parish, under the direction of Reverend Gerald J. Connolly, commemorated the Silver Jubilee of the founding of the parish. Reverend George L. Stier, the present pastor, succeeded Father Connolly, on July 1, 1947. In July, 1951, Father Stier began the construction of a new parish school. The new brick school, built on a one-floor plan, is situated on a five-acre plot of land near Nordman Road. The building was dedicated by Bishop Mulloy on November 23, 1952.
St. Joseph Parish, at present numbering one hundred and twenty-five families, gives promise of extensive future growth.
excerpted from History of the Diocese of Covington, Kentucky, on the Occasion of the Centenary of the Diocese, 1853-1953, by Rev. Paul E. Ryan