The Milldale (Latonia) city directory of 1890 lists a Deschler's Saloon at at Mill Road (?) near Ferry Street (now 32nd Street) in 1890. Jacob Ritte's obituary of November 14, 1893 notes that he worked for his brother Henry at Deschler's, and by the 1897 city directory, the saloon at that address was Henry Ritte's Saloon.
Henry's father, also named Henry, was born in Kurhessen, Germany, and came to America when he was 27. He joined the army, and served at Newport Barracks. When he was discharged, he started a successful saloon in Newport.
In 1902, Henry Ritte, the son, had been successful enough to build his own building on the north east corner of Main (Decoursey) and Southern, and he ran a saloon there until January of 1927. He retired, and sold the saloon. The Kentucky Post called Ritte's “one of Latonia's oldest landmarks” and noted Ritte's “place has long been the rendezvous for the sporting element of Latonia. He is one of Latonia's most respected citizens.”