Villa Madonna Academy
Villa Madonna Academy, Covington, was established in 1904. The cornerstone of the new Academy was laid by Bishop Maes on May 24, 1906. The new building was dedicated by the Bishop on May 28, 1908. The Academy was originally opened as a boarding school for girls. It is now also a day-school, attracting students from a radius of about ten miles.
Affiliation with the Catholic University of America was accomplished in 1915, and was renewed in 1941 under the revised system of affiliation. In 1923, the faculty made application to the State of Kentucky for inspection, and the same year received accreditation as a Class “A” school, a rating which it has maintained since that time. Two years later, 1925, Villa Madonna Academy was granted membership in the Southern Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools. In 1946, the Academy received the rating of “Superior” from the Southern Association.
Villa Madonna Academy at present is staffed with sixteen Sisters of St. Benedict and five lay teachers.
excerpted from History of the Diocese of Covington, Kentucky, on the Occasion of the Centenary of the Diocese, 1853-1953, by Rev. Paul E. Ryan