St. Paul Evangelical Church
On May 1, 1847, a small number of German Protestant people gathered together in Covington, Kentucky, for the purpose of organizing a Protestant congregation and to build a church. They proceeded to elect the following Trustees: Carl Wolf, Valentine Hagen, Henry Uhlhorn, Carl Geisbauer was elected Treasurer and Ludwig Kattan, Recording Secretary.
Agitation was at once begun for a suitable and permanent church home, which resulted in the purchase of the lot at the corner of Eleventh and Banklick Streets. The first payment in the amount of $150.00 on this property was made May 17, 1847. A modest church building was then erected and the first religious service was held August 29, 1847, at which time the Rev. Henry Christian Dolle was elected as the first pastor.
Records show the the first child baptized in the church was a daughter of Friedrich and Caroline Kuhlman, September 15, 1847. The first funeral service held in the Church was that of Marie Kreyhopp, September 17, 1847.
The first marriage ceremony was performed October 28, 1847 for Gerhardt Liebenthal and Sophia Leibfried Metz.
Records show that the congregation soon outgrew its modest quarters, so we find that the cornerstone of the present building was laid July 1, 1867, and the building completed and dedicated April 26, 1868.
The organ was bought in 1900, and moved to behind the pulpit, from the balcony, in 1919, and replaced in 1928. Anniversary's were celebrated on the 25th, 50th, and 75th occasions. Electric lights replaced the gas lights in 1913, and a parsonage, at 1521 Holman, was purchased in May, 1923. A major building remodeling and renovation took place in 1928.
Information here is excerpted from the Churches's Hundredth Anniversary program, published in 1947.