Landmark To Go
Landmark Will Go to Make Way for New Y.M.C.A.
Work of razing the buildings on the site of the new Y.M.C.A. in Covington was commenced this morning by Contractor E. L. Gresham and will be pushed forward as rapidly as possible.
The buildings are located at the corner of Pike and Madison-av. and have been landmarks of the city for years.
One structure was built over half a century ago and was known as the Magnolia Hotel. It was transferred from Joseph Keene, who built it, to W. w. Smith, who ran it as the Smith House for a number of years. After he left it, the building was run as a rooming house and finally was turned into an office and store building.
When this building was erected, the land lying between Madison-av. and the Willow Run was used as truck gardens, there being very few buildings at that time.
Kentucky Post, July 24, 1911