l and n

L & N in Maysville 1913 Flood L & N in Maysville L & N in Maysville
Louisville and Nashville
 Depot, Maysville
L & N Depot in
 the 1913 Flood
(from a Facebook post by John Henderson)
L & N Depot in
 the 1937 Flood
The new L&N Depot,
September, 1939

 

L & N in Maysville L & N in Maysville L & N in Maysville
October, 1941.  The last run
of Train 140.
April 1929 L&N
 agency staff
L&N Local Freight Crew in Maysville, February, 1948.
from the left, that's “Dapper Dan” Clark, flagman; “Dude” Hennessy,
engine man; R. C. Burdine, fireman; William A. Taylor, brakeman;
“Heavy” Reese, conductor, and D. A. Roebuck, Agent.

 

L & N in Maysville L & N in Maysville
Engine 776, taken at the Maysville roundhouse in
1905. That's Roy Fightmaster on the running board,
and W. H. Heckman in the cab window.
L&N, April 12, 1893

 

L & N in Maysville L & N in Maysville
Little Teapot, Maysville, 1910 L & N 152,  a 4-6-2 Excursion
Steam Engine in Maysville

Mason Line

The University of Louisville Library is the home of the L&N company records. They're all on-line, here. They include a complete set of the digitized employee magazine.

Mason Line

“A prominent citizen says there have been at least nine hundred houses put up or rebuilt in Maysville since the completion of the Kentucky Central Railroad [L&N].  For several years prior to that there had been but little building” from Maysville's Daily Evening Bulletin, August 2, 1887 “Maysville has received her first consignment from the interior by railroad. The cars brought in on the 24th a shipment of wheat from a station eight miles out on the new railroad.” Courier-Journal, August 29, 1970

“Our neighbors down at Limestone have organized a firm for building railroad cars.  They have already contracts for building cars for the Lexington and Maysville road.”  The Portsmouth Inquirer, March 18, 1853

In 1914, here’s what the L&N’s Industrial Freight  and Shipper’s Guide had to say about Maysville. “There are twenty-five thousand hands employed on the Lexington and Maysville railroad.”  From the Meigs County (Ohio) Telegraph, May 3, 1853.  The paper later cited the current number as 1,500, so the original number is suspicious.  We’d guess it may mean 2,500 instead of 25,000. Either way, a LOT of workers.
The first railroad construction wasn't without its own controversies, here.  
Both the C&O and the L&N  have on-line  historical societies. 

The L&N's is here; and the C&O's  is here.
There's an L & N discussion group on Yahoo, here.
“The first train of cars over the Maysville and Lexington [rail]road reached Paris on Monday [March 4]. The completion of this undertaking can not be other than a source of satisfaction. Formerly a very extensive wagon trade was done between Maysville and Lexington. But that was all done away with. The Maysville and Lexington railroad,commenced nineteen years ago and now completed, will restore to some extent that business, as it will place Lexington nearer to Maysville than Cincinnati by thirty or forty miles.” Courier-Journal, March 6, 1872

Mason Line