|Butler, December 14, 1912
from a Facebook post by Jackie Vaughn
|Butler Aerial View
|Butler Fire Department
from a Facebook post by Toots Adams
|River Road in Butler|
|“On the 13th inst., at Butler, a [baseball] match game was played between the Red Jackets, of Foster, Ky., and the Larks, of Butler, Ky. The rain ended the game at the seventh inning. Score: Larks, 72; Red Jackets, 37.” Cincinnati Enquirer, August 16, 1870|
Jno. W. Peoples Dry Goods is on the left (caskets available upstairs),
The telephone exchange was in the business on the right, and
that's Edna Pettit in the doorway of her millinery in the center.
|Same Scene as above
from Facebook posts by Jim Deaton (left) and Denny Lipscombe (right)
Central Hotel, Butler
Those two young ladies in the upper window may give us a clue as to some of the hotel services.
from a Facebook post by Greg Justice
|C. B. Stith||C. B. Peoples||Moore and Thomas|
Front and Matilda Streets, Butler Kentucky
|Scenes from the 1943 Flood, when the Ohio River stage at Cincinnati reached 60.8 feet
from Facebook posts by the Pendleton County Historical and Genealogical Society
Thanks to Greg Justice for this one
|Berlin Hotel, Butler||Village Blacksmith, note the
bridge in the background. c. 1910
|Butler Mercantile, 1967
a.k.a. The Locker
from a Facebook posting by Buck McClanahan
|Butler Deposit Bank
Established October 3, 1892.
New Bank coming to Butler? Read more here.
|Butler Mills, 1898||C. C. Hagemeyer & Mill
More on Hagemeyer, here.
|Map of the Hagemeyer Mills
How to see the entire map, here.
“Ten of fifteen thousand logs arrived at the Boston boom during the recent rise in the Licking. This will insure
two or three months' work for the villagers.” Courier-Journal, July 14, 1876, quoting the Falmouth Independent
At Boston, Kentucky, the booms of the Licking River Lumber Company were broken by the sudden
rise in the Licking, and from one thousand to fifteen bundled logs were washed away. A rise of
twenty-three feet at the headwaters of the Licking was reported yesterday.
Sacramento Daily Union, Volume 46, Number 7093, 27 December 1873
from Hog-back Hill,
|Flour Creek, Butler
Flour Creek's name used
to be Flower Creek.
|Licking River at Butler, Kentucky||Scene Near Butler, 1924|
|L & N Foreman's
|The Delevan was a Sears and Roebuck
Home, c. 1920. They sold one of this
model to Fort Wayne, Indiana; Hubbard,
Michigan; Niles, Ohio; and Butler, Kentucky.
|E. B. Bradley Home, c. 1898.
Who was E. B. Bradley?
A short bio is here.
|A potential, but never realized, site for a national armory at Butler.
December 18, 1827 - that's old, folks.
from a Buck Seibert Facebook post
The proposal for the armory is here (pdf).
|A really nice description of Butler from 1879 is here.||William Jones' 1889 History of Butler, here.|
|USPS records show the first Post Office in what is now Butler was established on March 10, 1857, with Richard M. J. Wheeler as Postmaster. On July 31, 1860, the name was changed to Butler, and John A. Shaw was named Postmaster. The post office was discontinued entirely from June 8, 1861 to July 9, 1861.|
|Butler is named in honor of General William O. Butler, the same man for whom Carrollton's Butler Park is named. Butler was earlier called Fourth Lock, and later, Clayton.||Butler man “of bad heart and evil designs” commits cold blooded murder, here.|
|Butler was incorporated as a town on February 1, 1868.||Abolitionist almost gets away with Flour Creek slaves, here.|
|Butler goes dry, in 1873.|
|Mabel Howe's History of Butler is here.||Governor Morrow comes to town to dedicate Boy Scout Camp, here.|
|“We learn from Mr. Wood Wilson, Conductor of the Falmouth Accommodation Train, that the store of J. F. Taylor, at Butler Station, was destroyed by fire about one o'clock yesterday morning. Loss about $3,000; partially insured. The fire is supposed to have been the work of an incendiary.” from the Cincinnati Enquirer, August 21, 1867.|
|On April 8, 1865 a Pendleton County court noted a contract between Benjamin Yelton and James Ayars Jr., of Covington, to “dig, bare, and search for petroleum or rock oil or other vegetable of mineral produce” on “a tract of about 2 acres on east bank of Main Licking River near Butler Station on the KCRR & between Roaring Riffle and Lick Creek Riffle, being the piece of ground known as Yelton's Old Salt Mill.”|
|Hundreds search for a man sent to the distillery at Butler, here.||“The Public Library at Butler contains sixty volumes. The Astor Library was commenced with a common school dictionary.” from The Ticket, a Covington newspaper, January 22, 1876.|