|Ludlow, From Elberon
Avenue in Price Hill, Ohio
|Ludlow from Mt. Echo||From Mount Echo
Park in Price Hill
The oldest house in Ludlow,
built c. 1818.
|Ward Vandermark Home
20 Ash Street
|These four Ludlow houses are all on the National Register of Historic places, complete with photo's, history, and maps.|
|Elmwood Hall||Maxwell House||855-57 Oak St.||859 Oak St.|
|“The old Ritchie House, at the corner of Elm and Locust. The family lived in Ludlow for almost 100 years. The property also had a separate greenhouse and library. It was torn down in the late 1950s to build the Kroger's. The Ritchie's were immigrants from Switzerland. The first Ludlow death in WWI was Edgar B. Ritchie. Ludlow's American Legion Post was named for him.” Dave Schroeder, commenting on Facebook||G. Taylor Latta Residence, 1911. The 12-sided Latta House was later the location of an Allison & Rose Funeral Home.|
|Background on the Ritchie family is at this site.|
|Somerset Hall, built in 1832
“A typical Southern residence”
|Somerset Hall, November 12, 1943|
A contemporary tour of the interior of the Carneal House.
A brochure about the Carneal House is here.
|Lumber Barges at Ludlow||Elm and Locust Streets, 1894
The Christian Church used the
first floor of this building, and a
school was conducted on the first
floor. City Council first met here,
on the first floor, in 1864
|C. A. Slater's Grocery
Store, c. WWI, Oak and Helen.
from a Jeff Barkley post on Facebook
|Both of these are believed to be from the damage of the great tornado of July 7, 1915.
from Facebook posts by Tom Dryer
More on the horrendous damage this storm caused is on this page of our site.
July 4, 1959
|Elm Street, looking east
from Euclid Refinery fire,
July 26, 1892.
It burned until August 13th.
|The Southern Contracting
|In 1874, Ludlow had
it's own newspaper
|G. Moser & Sons|
|Resin Yards of H. Garlick, Ludlow|
|The Ludlow Springs Hobo Club
An explanation of who they were, here.
|Ludlow Baseball Team, 1910|
A little background on the Ludlow Incinerator is at this site.
|Ludlow incorporates, becoming an official city in 1864.|
|“First place in the order of deserved recognition may be assigned to Miss Anna C. Minogue (Kenton Co. Library), of Latonia, Ky., whose novels, The Rainbow Chasers, Cardome, and Borrowed from the Night have given their author a high standing.” Kentucky Irish American, May 11, 1901||
“On Tuesday morning, Dec. 28th, a runaway negro, the property of Mrs. Stark, of Campbell county, Kentucky, was captured in attempting to cross the Ohio, below Ludlow.” Sacramento Daily Union, January 26, 1859
|The Ludlow Turnpike Company was created by this 1864 act.|
1937, just before the crest
|While you don't hear as much about it, 1933 also saw
a terrible flood. These are March 22, 1933.
|1937, Looking north
January 26, 1937
|Post Place & River Road||Park Avenue, January 26, 1937|
|1937, Along Route 8, from Facebook posts by Cindy Alexander|
|O'Hearn & Bennett Grocery
W. Oak Street, 1937 Flood
|January 27, 1937, before the
flood crest, at the foot of Ash Street
|Ludlow Flood Scenes, (likely 1907 or 1913)|
Yosties, at Deverill and Elm, in the 1964 flood
Dave Schroeder writes on the rich history of Ludlow at this site.
There's also an application for Central Ludlow. Both are pdf's.