Notre Dame Academy
Notre Dame Academy on Fifth Street had its beginning in 1875, the year after the arrival of the Sisters of Notre Dame in Covington. The Academy opened in the fall of that year with an enrollment of seven pupils. In that year, the Sisters erected a four-story building on Fifth Street, to serve as convent and academy, which was dedicated on July 26, 1876. Additional wings as well as a fifth floor were later added to the building. With the removal of the convent to St. Joseph Heights, in 1927, the Fifth Street building was given over entirely to the Academy.
From the beginning, the Academy was open to both elementary and high school students. In 1937, the elementary department was discontinued in order to devote the entire work of the institution to the high school level.
Notre Dame Academy was accredited by the State of Kentucky in 1923 and received an “A” rating. Since 1928, the Academy has received the “A” rating given by the Southern Association of Secondary Schools. In 1938, the Academy was selected as the practice-teaching school for the students of Villa Madonna College who were majoring in the teaching profession. This required the heads of the various departments at the Academy to be certified critic teachers. In 1943, the Academy was evaluated by the Southern Association and given the rating “Superior.” The Alumnae Association of Notre Dame Academy held its Silver Jubilee on February 12, 1936.
excerpted from History of the Diocese of Covington, Kentucky, on the Occasion of the Centenary of the Diocese, 1853-1953, by Rev. Paul E. Ryan