Yorkshire Club


Located at 518 York Street, The Yorkshire club was opened in 1941 by Jimmy Brink (who also owned the Lookout House in Covington), then beginning in 1944, run by the Berman (a.k.a. Miller) brothers, Joe and Martin, two Meyer Lansky associates from New York. The casino was large, over 7500 square feet, and housed a bookie operation with horse boards. Like the Flamingo Club, the Yorkshire appeared to be run in cooperation with both the Eastern and Cleveland Syndicate mafia groups. Both were high-end, “carpet joints,” run openly in Newport throughout the modern gambling area from the 1940s until the early 1960s. Today the building is the home of Eat Well and formerly the Bernhard Bakery.


From a Facebook post by Chris Code